Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Turn Admin On!
Voting Overseas

Voting from France

Absentee Voting Overview

U.S. citizens living abroad, may register to vote by absentee ballot.  The Federal Voting Assistance Program encourages the use of the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to start the absentee voting process.  The FPCA acts as both a registration and absentee ballot request form, but you must know your legal State of residence before beginning the registration process.  If you are a U.S. citizen, but never lived in the United States here is some information.  FVAP encourages all overseas citizens to submit a new FPCA every year and when they move.

Registering to Vote by Absentee Ballot:

We  refer you to the website page of the Federal Voting Assistance Program for voter registration:

  • Select your State of legal residence under “Voters Start Here
  • After making your selection, you will be guided through the absentee voting registration process by completing the Federal Post Card Application.

Sending Your Application, Receiving your Ballot and Casting Your Vote:

  • Send your completed, signed and dated FPCA absentee ballot request directly to your County Board of Elections according to your State’s requirements (by-mail, email, fax).
  • You will receive your official absentee ballot approximately three weeks prior to Election Day in November 2016, by mail, fax or email, according to your state’s requirements, and the selection you have made. (You will not receive official notification of your registration, but may check its status online, or directly with your County Board of Elections.)
  • When you receive your official absentee ballot, follow the instructions and send your voted ballot directly to your County Board of Elections in your State of legal residence.

Important Note:  Embassies and consulates are not polling places.  Same-day in-person voting is not available outside the United States.

Have another voting question?

Please refer to the website of the FVAP, or contact the U.S. Embassy again by email, or phone at: 01 43 12 47 60.


Dropping Off Voting Materials

  • American citizens may deposit signed, sealed voting envelopes with the Embassy Security Guards, containing voting materials only (voter registrations or voted ballots) at the tent in front of the entrance to the Consular Section, weekdays between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm.

Contact Us

  • Voting contact For all your voting questions, send us an email.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.