Visas for Children
Children's Passports and Visas
Each person traveling, regardless of their age, must have a travel document.
Requirements for children traveling to the US for tourism:
- Each child traveling must have an individual valid passport OR a visa.
- If a child is a national of a visa waiver country, and has a qualifying machine-readable passport or a biometric passport, he or she does not require an additional visa for tourist travel.
- If a child is traveling with a parent, and is included in their passport, the child must have an individual visa even for tourist travel.
There is no waiver of the visa requirement based on the age of a child.
Requirements for children traveling to the US for purpose other than tourism:
The child is required to apply for the appropriate visa category. Visa waiver travel is not possible.
Visa Issuance Process
- Individual applications must be submitted for each visa required.
- The US Embassy in Paris is the only location in France where visa interviews are scheduled.
- Children 14 and older must appear in Paris for an interview.
- For children under 14, applications may be processed by mail. For more information about applying by mail, click here.