Apply or Renew by Mail
- En français
Certain applicants who are physically present in France do not need to appear in person and may apply by mail:
- Children aged 13 and under
- Adults aged 80 or over
In addition, some applicants, physically present in France, are eligible to renew their visas by mail. Please follow our new Visa-Reissue Wizard to see if you qualify to renew your visa by mail.
Children aged 13 and under and adults aged 80 or over and all others qualifying for renewal by mail:
Each applicant must post the following documentation:
1. Complete the DS-160 online application, found at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv, and print the confirmation page.
2. Pay the application fee. Attach the original proof of payment (mandat-compte) to the application confirmation page. Note: The application cannot be processed without payment. This payment is mandatory and not refundable under any circumstances.
3. Depending upon your nationality, a reciprocity fee may be required in order to issue the visa.
- Visit of the Department of State's reciprocity fee website to determine if your application requires a reciprocity fee. (There is no reciprocity fee for French nationals).
- If your application requires a reciprocity fee, attach a mandat-cash in that amount
- Include a valid passport
Attach one ID photograph 5cm x 5cm taken in the past 6 months
(see specifications and samples)
For the return of your passport, provide one self-addressed, Chronopost envelope (one per family).
If mailing your passport outside of France, please purchase the correct Chronopost according to the country where the passport is being sent. Applicants are responsible for recording the envelope's tracking number and contacting the delivery company or the Post Office if the envelope does not arrive.
Please write down your express-mail envelope tracking number so that you can contact the company if there is a problem with delivery. The Embassy cannot help you track the reference number.
- If your file is incomplete, it will be returned.
- No information will be provided by phone on the status of your file -- please do not call us to find out if we have received your visa application.
- Mailed in applications are not guaranteed visa issuances. Consular officers reserve the right to request a personal interview. If you are invited for a personal interview, you will be sent instructions on how to proceed.
B1/B2 visa applicants: must provide a letter of explanation outlining the reasons they are applying for the B1/B2 visa. Applications for children must include copies of the parent (s) visas and a copy of the child's birth certificate.
C1D or I visa applicants: must provide a letter of employment on the company letterhead.
F, J or M visa applicant: must provide the original I-20/DS-2019/DS-7002 and Sevis fee receipt.
H, L, O, P, Q visa applicants: must include I-797 petitions or official notifications.
Failure to provide all the required documents will delay the processing of a visa application.
Where to submit your application
Please send the above required to the following address:
US Consular Section
Attention: Visa Services
18, avenue Gabriel
Overseas French Territories
French nationals and Legal Permanent Residents of overseas French territories are NOT/NOT allowed to mail in their applications to US Embassy Paris. Please visit our page, How to Apply, for information on submitting your application to the appropriate U.S. Consulate.
What else do I need to Know ?
Eligible candidates for The Fingerprint Reissue/Reuse Program may not require an interview with a consular officer. If you have already provided a full set of ten fingerprints, your application will be reviewed upon receipt. If you are deemed to be eligible for The Fingerprint Reissue/Reuse Program and your application documents are found to be in order, your visa will be issued. The normal processing time for nonimmigrant visas is three business days. Otherwise, the Consulate staff will inform you that a personal appearance at the Consulate will be required.
Even applicants who meet all of the requirements may still be required to attend an interview. A decision on the interview waiver is solely at the discretion of the reviewing officer.
Please follow our new Visa-Reissue Wizard to see if you qualify to renew your visa by mail.